Pictures of Night (2008)
Cantata for SATB and piano. Duration c. 15 minutes
Commissioned by Essex Vocal Ensembles, conductor Janette Ruocco, for the Essex Beginner Singers, Essex Training Choir, and Essex Young Singers. Pictures of Night is a suite of five movements, all but one with piano accompaniment. The moods are varied, and the texts range from the beauty of a still night to the excitement of a firework display, and from the storms, mystery and terror of darkness to the calm of the new moon. Originally written for upper voice and SATB choirs, all the movements of this edition may be sung by SATB choir, and two of the movements may alternatively be sung by upper voices.
1. In such a night (poem by Anne Finch, 1661-1720) SATB and piano. Also available separately. Listen to In such a night (Soundcloud).
2. Why does he gallop? (poem by R.L.Stevenson, 1850-94) S(A) or SATB and piano
3. The Night is darkening round me (poem by Emily Bronte, 1818-48) SATB unaccompanied
4. New Moon (poems anonymous Hebridean) SA or SATB and piano. YouTube audio link (Nayland Choir)
5. Fireworks (words Alan Bullard) SATB and piano
Colne Edition / Spartan Press details. Listen to Fireworks (Soundcloud).
Complete audio by Essex Vocal Ensembles on Youtube